Happy New Year!
To celebrate our 25th Anniversary, we are hosting a year-long storytelling project to highlight our wonderful TMN members and their conservation volunteer work across the state.
We want to know! What inspired you to became a TMN member? Do you have a favorite TMN in-the-field memory? What has been your most meaningful project, community outreach, or conservation event? What does nature mean to you? Use these questions as inspiration for your creative brainstorming or feel free to use them as a direct prompt.
You’ll have two options to share your experiences as a Master Naturalist: either through video or words (written story and/or poetry). Please choose one format per story. You’re welcome to share more than one story if you’d like to try each format (just submit the form again!). To send us your story, please fill out the form below.
Tips on writing down your experiences:
- Find a nice quiet place to write and let your ideas flow out onto the page for a few minutes without self-interruption.
- When you’re ready to put on your editor’s hat don’t forget to spell check your work.
- Keep stories short and sweet, for example no more than 1 page in Word/google doc.
Tips on taking a great selfie video:
- Be sure to wear your favorite TMN regalia (hats/patches/t-shirts/sweaters etc.) when recording.
- Find a nice nature spot outside for a backdrop.
- Notice what sounds and noises surround your spot. Try to avoid, if possible, any sounds that may make it difficult for the microphone to catch your words (for example traffic noise and/or windy days).
- Have a good light source. When outside, mornings and evenings can give you a nice soft light good for videos.
- If it helps you to stay on track, write down your thoughts before recording and have your notes close at hand.
You’ll be able to find the stories on the Texas Master Naturalist state website and our social media channels throughout 2023. Thank you for all you do this year and every year as a Master Naturalist volunteer!